Essence of Burgundy & Provence (Wine Cruise)
Priced From $3,799 per person
8 Days | 7 Nights
Treat your palate to Mâconnais, Cornas and Chalonnaise wines as you journey along the Rhône and Saône rivers. With a dedicated wine expert to guide you, you’ll also have the opportunity to indulge in wine tastings and a specially curated food and wine pairing dinner on board – all included in the price of your Wine Cruise. While you’ll get more than a taste of Burgundy and Provence during this itinerary, the essence of these destinations will linger on your palate – and in your heart – for a lifetime!
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with French balconies)
- Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access, movies, a music library and English language TV stations
- Desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
- Wellness Activities with a dedicated Wellness Host leading various exercise classes as well as discussions on healthy eating and relaxation techniques, both on board and on shore.
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck whirlpool and walking track
- Fitness room, massage services and hair salon
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Welcome cocktail, Welcome Dinner, La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs Dinner, Captain’s Cocktail and Gala Dinner
- La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs exclusive dining experience
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
- Bike tours and hikes
- Special Interest Tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
Embark your ship in Arles, France for your Essence of Burgundy & Provence river cruise.
Arles is considered one of the most beautiful cities in France. Let your experienced guide lead you to the top sights, including the Romanesque cathedral and Roman amphitheater. Or, if you wish to delve further into Van Gogh’s Arles, join a special walking tour along with a visit to the Vincent van Gogh Foundation, showcasing his legacy. Alternately, you may take a guided bike tour through town. Later in the day, enjoy a walking tour in Avignon, aptly named the “City of Popes,” that includes the Papal Palace and the well-preserved medieval walls surrounding the historic center of town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. For a more flavorful experience, visit three venues around Avignon to taste regional specialties including macarons, cheese and wine, and tapenades. During the evening, enjoy an Illuminations cruise.
Viviers is a charming medieval city with picturesque 16th and 18th century monuments. For a more active adventure, pedal through this bicycle-friendly city. Alternately, you can go to the magnificent hilltop village, Grignan. After visiting this enchanting Provençal town, go in search of the highly prized “Black Diamond” truffles with a farmer and his trustworthy canine companion.
Vienne boasts a Roman past that can be seen in its marvelously preserved ruins. There you can enjoy a guided walking tour around the city. For those wishing to be more active, you can either take a guided hike from the ship to the Monastery at Mount Pipet or a guided bike tour along a portion of the ViaRhôna bike route. Later in the day, discover dynamic Lyon, starting in Fourvière Hill, part of the city’s historic region that is now a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site and home to the 19th-century basilica Notre-Dame de Fourvière. Continue on to the old town of Lyon, followed by a guided walk through the St. Jean district, where you will be introduced to the city’s unique covered walkways, known as “traboules.” If you’re a self-described foodie, our Lyon tasting tour is for you, during which you’ll have a chance to taste some of Lyon’s local delights. Or get active a guided bike tour through the city designed with cyclists in mind. In the evening, sit back to see the city illuminated during a scenic nighttime cruise.
Join a guided tour through the “South Burgundy City” of Mâcon, learning about its local vineyards, museums, historical sites and perhaps its famous son, the poet and minister Alphonse de Lamartine. Or venture somewhat off the beaten path to Cluny, known for its large abbey, and the nearby castle Berze-le-Chatel, a well-preserved fortress perched on a rocky hill offering stunning views below. Alternately, you can enjoy a guided bike tour to Berze-le-Chatel. Should architecture or religion be one of your main interests, perhaps choose the excursion to the Royal Monastery of Brou, built in the 16th century and boasting a glorious white façade as well as a beautifully tiled roof. Later in the day, enjoy a panoramic view from the Sun Deck as you sail to Tournus, or opt for a bike ride from Mâcon to Tournus. Or, enjoy a delicious tasting of the region’s famous white Mâconnais wines.
Today you have a choice of a number of excursions as you explore Tournus. Let your knowledgeable guide lead you through Tournus and to its magnificent Benedictine Abbey of Saint Philibert. Or choose instead to visit the moated Château de Cormatin, which dates back to the early 17th century and features ornate apartments as well as a beautifully manicured garden. As an alternative, venture to the medieval village of Brancion with its preserved gateway, church and market hall. Later in the day, enjoy scenic cruising as you sail toward Chalon-Sur-Saône, or opt for a bike tour if you’re feeling adventurous.
Located in southern Burgundy at the heart of the Côte Chalonnaise wine region, Chalon-Sur-Saône whispers the secrets of its medieval past which you will discover on your historic city tour. You’ll also stop at a local market where you can see and taste some of the local fare. Alternatively, choose an excursion in Beaune, a walled town nestled in the heart of Cote d’Or vineyards where you’ll stroll the cobblestone streets and take in such sights as the mosaic-tiled roof of the Hôtel-Dieu de Beaune, founded in the 15th century as a hospital for the less fortunate. Or, visit the storybook Château de Couches, a medieval fortress enveloped in idyllic hills and greenery that once served the Dukes of Burgundy. Later in the day, treat your palate to a tasting of Chalonnaise wines.
Disembark your ship and prepare for your return flight home.
Tour Operated by AMA Waterways
At the time of booking, please have the following information ready for all members of your party:
- Traveler’s Name: First and last names as they appear on your passport
- Passport copy – Photo page(Passport must be valid for 6 months after return date)
- Traveler’s Address
- Email Address
- Traveler’s Phone Number
- Tour Name and Departure Date
- Purchasing Airline Tickets in Business or Coach class along with departure/return airports
- Purchasing a travel protection plan
- Emergency Contact Information: Please provide the name and phone number of a relative or friend (not traveling with you) whom we could contact during the tour in the unlikely event of an emergency
- Certain travel partners mandate Covid vaccine and booster shots. This changes on an ongoing basis so please check with us at the time of booking.
Call to find out more about the initial deposit requirements and cancellation policy.